View Single Post
Old June 12, 2005, 10:09 PM   #38
Garand Illusion

Quote:
However, we are all aware of incidents where the bad guy(s) chose to shoot it out with numerous, well-armed, police officers. Not exactly the actions of cowards.
Yup -- but civilian carry is quite a bit different from police carry. In the cases I'm thinking of (like the LA shootout, just about any other story) the BG's continued to engage because they were trying to escape and the police were pursuing them. That's the job of the police; engage the BG's and remain engaged until they're dead or surrendered.

A civilian's only job is to protect himself and, hopefuly, those around him. He has no need to pursue the bg's once they bug out.

The police story is interesting, but again this was the story of a civilian going the extra mile to be a hero. My hat is off to him and I'm glad he was capable of doing what he did -- but it's not clear that he couldn't have accomplishd the same thing with a lot less lead flying around.

As soon as he engaged the BG's they stopped shooting the police, and -- while not all the details are there -- they did try to make a getaway. Probably would have been safer to just let them carjack another car and get away and let the police take care of it. I don't know the whole situation, but 19 bullets is a lot be popping off if you've got uninvolved innocents in the area.

My first priority when I carry is the defense of myself and my family. And five rounds will do that quite nicely.

More is always better, but the difference between having 5 rounds of .38 hollowpoints at your disposal vs. just a disapproving tone of voice is huge.

Carry what you can, take care of yourself first, and make your shots count. And feel safe with 5 for sure.

Page generated in 0.02725 seconds with 8 queries