Thread: New to C&R Guns
View Single Post
Old August 14, 2013, 08:35 PM   #11
tahunua001

Quote:
Personally, I like to keep my collection limited to guns that shoot modern ammo or at least readily-available, since I don't reload. If you reload, then the sky's the limit.

With that in mind, I would recommend the following pistols;

1. CZ-82; great gun, 12-rnd magazine and 9mm Mak ammo readily avail.
2. Any model Tokarev; shoots the 7.62 x 25 round that's unlike any other
3. Walther P38/P1; nice piece of history in 9mm luger
4. Beretta Model 1951; another high-quality steel gun in 9mm luger
5. Polish P-64; great little conceal gun, inexpensive mm Mak
6. Argentine Sistema Colt; 1911 style in .45 ACP

as for rifles, there's plenty to choose from depending on your collecting/shooting philosophy such as;

1. Chinese/Russian SKS
2. Lee Enfield #4 Mk 1
3. Mosin Nagant
4. Chinese Type 53
and many, many more.
I find a lot of things wrong with this but I'll settle on a few points.
1. first you say you want something that shoots a standard, modern, readily available round THEN proceed to recommend 9 MAK and 7.62 tok? neither are modern or readily available outside of big box stores and even then availibility can be hit or miss. the surplus on tokarevs went down the tank when when the price of 7.62x39 matched 5.56 and people started looking for cheap alternatives. now all that's around outside of a few lucky grabs is sellier and bellot and not readily available anywhere except online orders.

2. 30 tokarev like no other? apparently you have never heard of 30 mauser used in the C96 broom stick. both are very similar though tokarev is hotter and is not safe to fire in 30 mauser chambers.

3. you recommend mosin nagant and chinese type 53 as if they are mutually exclusive. mosin nagant is the colloquial name for any of a family of communist rifles that are based on the 1891 design. 1891, 91/30, M28(finnish), M38, M39(finnish), M44, type 53(chinese) and 91/59 are all mosin nagants and all chambered in 7.62x54R which brings me to my next point.

4. 7.62x54R is not a modern cartridge. it's been around for over a century and more than 80% of what you see is all surplus. once that surplus runs out you will be in the same boat as the tokarev. with the exception of sellier and bellot, wolf/grizzly, and seasonal runs of hornady match grade ammo(prohibitively expensive for most) there is not a lot out there and given the much larger number of mosin owners than tokarev owners ammo availibility will be even worse off.

Page generated in 0.04179 seconds with 8 queries