View Single Post
Old January 27, 2011, 12:32 PM   #11
BigJimP

To optimize your potential on clay targets - you really need to consider a 28" barrel on a pump or semi-auto ( and in terms of overall length of the gun / it will be roughly equivalent to an Over Under with 30" barrels ). The receiver on the pump and semi-auto are about 2" longer than an O/U.

Shooting clays is very different from shooting slugs or whatever in a defensive situation - mostly because the targets are moving. The longer barrel makes for a longer sight plane - and it makes executing the shot for clays a lot easier. Shorter barreled guns - have a tendancy to swing way to quickly / vs smoothly ...and on clay targets you want "smooth" and a controlled follow thru motion.

All pump guns are easy and quick to change barrels - takes a minute at the most. But extra barrels can cost you as much as another gun.

There is a lot of discussion on the forum of how effective a pump gun is on clay targets / speed / economy of motion, etc ...

Many of us started on pump guns ....but today I shoot clays with an O/U - and for the most part on upland birds, I hunt with the same O/U I shoot for clays.

Its very similar to the variety of discussions on handguns 3", vs 4" vs 5" barrels ....and controls, etc .... there is a lot to it. Personally my primary defensive handgun is a 1911 in 5" ....because I shoot it way better than most any 3" or most 4" barreled guns....( but that is what suits me ). You have to pick what suits you the best.

Page generated in 0.02422 seconds with 8 queries