Thread: .327 Fed Magnum
View Single Post
Old January 7, 2011, 01:25 AM   #45
BluesBear

Location: Mill Creek, Washington (The Great Pacific NorthWet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soneone from Speer/ATK
In many calibers you can use “the bullets that fit” the 327 Fed is not that caliber if you intend to use full-power loads. You’ll tear the forcing-cone up or stretch the frame with bullets not designed for full-pressure loads in the 327 Fed. Understand that is not an idle warning, it will happen, this is the place for premium bullets when top velocities are desired.
Does anyone else sense some flawed logic here?
Now I fully realize that the .327 Magnum operates at a little higher pressure than most revolver cartridges and I also fully understand the dymanics of bullet obturation. So unless the chamber throats are grossly oversize, the forcing cone is ultra steep or the topstrap is made of petrified marshmallow, how can you tear up the forcing cone or stretch the frame at any pressure containable in a revolver?

I mean, is he trying to tell us that standard jacketed pistol bullets produced by most major American bullet producers are so Jell-O soft as to over-obturate all the while being so hard as to stretch the frame or "tear up" the forcing cone" of a quality steel revolver?

The "Fashion Calibers" seem to come and go but when all is said and done everybody comes back to the forty-five.
(Chris Curino - Kimber Mfg. Co.)

Page generated in 0.04166 seconds with 8 queries