View Single Post
Old April 21, 2012, 11:02 AM   #16
BDS-THR

Glock reloader here for 17 years in various calibers, shot matches with G22s and carry a G27. I have shot reloads in Glocks with various jacketed/plated/lead/Moly coated lead bullets. And yes, my "smoke" stinks like everyone else.

Agabus, you have gotten good advise on this forum so far, but not sure about what you got from Yahoo group ...

Gen3 Glock chambers are comparable to most other factory barrels (actually, some other factory barrels are even more generous than Glocks but due to much greater number of Glocks having been sold, there's more "forum/youtube" posted incidents of problems like KaBoom) and require the same reloading safety principles used for reloading any other pistol cartridges - You should always conduct full powder work up from starting load towards max load while looking for pressure signs/issues.

Advice I can offer for reloading for Glocks, especially higher pressure 40S&W, is to NOT start with faster burning pistol powders at near max/max load data powder charges. When you are initially starting out, your reloading practices/methods may not be precise and you could be off by several tenth of grain off in your powder charge. With faster burning powders that has spikey pressure curve like Hodgdon Titegroup, extra .2-.3 grain charge could mean overpressure trouble. I would recommend you start off with moderately fast burning pistol powders like W231/HP-38 or slower to start off and not with Titegroup, especially for 40S&W. I have shot several hundred thousand rounds of reloads in Glocks using W231/HP-38 and mid-to-high range load data the past 17 years and I have not experienced pressure issues.

As to equipment, single stage press is a good start as you can load pistol or rifle cartridges. If you can spend more, Lee Classic Turret with cast iron base is an excellent press that can be used as a single stage press or a turret press. If you plan on reloading rifle cartridges, keep in mind that Lee Pro 1000 loads pistol cartridges and short rifle cartridges like .223/7.62x39 only. I use all three press types and would highly recommend the Classic Turret press.

Last edited by BDS-THR; April 21, 2012 at 11:10 AM.

Page generated in 0.02072 seconds with 8 queries