View Single Post
Old November 4, 2005, 12:18 PM   #33
AJ Peacock

Quote:
The reason I use 200yds is because I have seen data for NC where over 98% of the deer taken with a rifle was under 200 yrd and a large percentage was under 150 yds. I have heard that the national numbers are similar.
I agree. Regardless of what round you use, if the bullet completely passes through the animal, you 'wasted' extra energy on the backstop. When I shoot a whitetail in the head at 70 yds, it really doesn't matter if I use a 7mm mag, .243, 30-30 etc.

Thats the point. for close range, the heavy gun is just as good as a light gun (it just 'wastes' a little more energy on the backstop). For long distance, the heavy gun is Superior to the light gun.

Regardless of the firearm, the hunter has the responsibility to shoot it well.

If hunters had to pass 'my' test to get a license, there would be a LOT less hunters out there (regardless of which gun they were using).

Do you disagree with any of the following?

1) The caliber is SIGNIFICANTLY less important than the skill of the shooter.

2) The caliber required is dependent more on the situation (range, wind, cover, backstop) than on the animal.

3) TOO MUCH gun is usually better than TOO LITTLE. (w/re to morally harvesting a game animal)

??

AJ

Page generated in 0.03076 seconds with 8 queries