Thread: Extension tubes
View Single Post
Old December 17, 2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Scattergun Bob

Josh P

Quote:
Are these 100% reliable, with no chance of causing a jam
That's always the million $ question any time we add on to our factory original scatterguns. Over the years of tinkering on 870's for my old agency and for myself, a file cabinet drawer full of "cool stuff THAT DID NOT PERFORM AS ADVERTISED" seems to have accumulated!

I am a believer in having enough rounds in and on our fighting scatterguns. Only our maker will KNOW the exact number necessary. That 2am bump in the night usually means that we will face our moment of truth with what ever # of rounds are in the gun, (unless one sleeps in tacti-cool skivies).

For that reason, I am a fan of magazine extensions of the +2 varity. After many different experiments and tests I have landed on two types of extensions that DO work as advertised. One is the Wilson/scattergun tech one piece magazine extension and the second is Remington's original factory extension. Both of these when properly installed and mated with the correct magazine spring and follower give in my humble opinion the best chance of correct operation.

There may be others that I have NOT had time to play with, but many of the less expensive extensions are just items that will help YOU amass that accumulation of "stuff that doesn't get it done." A good extension, spring, and follower kit these days seems to be in the $50.00 and up range.

kyle1886, is correct. Some of Remington's 870 express scatterguns were produced NOT to accept extended magazines without modification. The easy tell for that is to spin-off the magazine retaining nut and if you see a red/orange plastic thing with teeth sticking out of the magazine tube, then you got some work to do.

Good Luck & Be Safe

Page generated in 0.03163 seconds with 8 queries