View Single Post
Old February 27, 2014, 12:36 PM   #8
kraigwy

Quote:
I am curious to know why the ladies did not like the shotguns. Did any explain the reasons for their dislikes?
They KICK, even with the light target loads they kick.

Remember we're not talking seasoned shooters here, we are talking ladies from 18-80, most of which have never fired any sort of weapon.

For any firearm to be a valid SD firearm, the shooter has to be confident with the gun and their ability with the gun. If they are afraid of the gun, then they will never be confident.

Yes with proper coaching any one can learn to shoot a shotgun (or any other gun) without discomfort, but that's not the purpose of my classes.

Many of those who responded to this mentioned this and that, I can do this and I know a person who can do that.

Fine, we all have our likes and dislikes, no body can tell me what gun would work best for me, and I don't feel I can tell anyone else what works for them.

I just try to provide as many options as possible and let the ladies choose what works for them. And in the 2 years I have been conducting this class I haven't found a girl that chose the shotgun.

I am of the opinion that the handgun is best for home defense and carrying during our daily lives. But I and my students do live in a rural environment where a long gun may be a necessary, not so much for protecting your self from bandits but protecting your livestock and pets from varmints that want to eat them. Another reason why I think the rifle is better. Shotguns just don't work at critters 100 yards or more away.

I read some news this morning where a 11 year old girl in Washington shot a mountain lion who was following her 9 year old brother home from school. Sometimes shotguns just don't work.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071

Page generated in 0.03458 seconds with 8 queries