View Single Post
Old June 28, 2010, 08:58 PM   #1
fishhead1

Old 45 Colt Ammo

From the "for what it's worth" department. I inherited an old box of Remington (Kleanbore) 45 Colt ammo awhile back. Don't know exactly how old this stuff was, but, if this is any indication, the price on the box (hand written) was $3.85, and it featured "non-corrosive priming". I noticed at the time that there was something "different" about the appearance of this ammo, and I realized the cases were "rimmed" instead of "semi-rimmed". As it happens, I own a Ruger New Model Blackhawk in 45 Colt, so I naturally had to see if this ammo still functioned OK. I went through the entire box of 50 without any misfires etc, and accuracy appeared about normal.
I was somewhat interested in reloading the empties (all of which appeared to be normal once-fired cases), but soon discovered that, being rimmed cases, they do not fit my 45 Colt shell holders (DAH!). This has piqued my curiosity, so I thought I would pose the question to you guys. Does anyone out there reload rimmed handgun ammo anymore (I guess the question may be, why would you want to?); and, if so, where would one acquire shell holders for this purpose? Do any of you "cowboy shooters" out there use rimmed ammo? Just thought I would bring it up for discussion, because it hadn't really crossed my mind til now.

Page generated in 0.02920 seconds with 8 queries