View Single Post
Old July 22, 2012, 09:34 PM   #20
Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
Hopefully someone will chime in if I'm wrong, but I think that if you have two identical bullets that leave the muzzle of the same gun at identical speeds, their external ballistics should be the same.
That is correct. Once the bullet leaves the muzzle, pressure, peak/curve/dwell have no bearing. Only external elements will have effect... gravity and weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1
Muzzle flip is probably more a matter or INTERNAL ballistics, but it still affects POI.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRiqui
I remember seeing high-speed photography that showed that muzzle flip didn't really start until the bullet left the barrel.
Recoil and muzzle flip are caused by two different elements of the same process.
A gun of sufficient weight, would be, for all intent and purpose, recoil and muzzle flip proof... a 100 lb .22 for example probably wouldn't move much.

If a normally weighted firearm was parallel to the ground with equal weight and balance and no fulcrum point around which it, the barrel or "lever" can pivot, there would be no muzzle flip.
A free resting straight barrel lying on a flat table over it's entire length for example, would recoil rearward only from both the recoil and the expelation of high pressure gas after the bullet leaves the muzzle... with no muzzle flip at all. It might roll one way or the other from a spin imparted by the rifling... but not flip.

A handgun with a low barrel center will have less muzzle flip than a gun with similar weight and dimensions but a higher barrel center... it's the "hinge" (fulcrum) point relative to the lever, weight and leverage applied.

Or... I could be talking completely out of my backside.

Cheers,
C

Page generated in 0.03887 seconds with 8 queries