View Single Post
Old September 7, 1999, 02:06 AM   #20
Eskrimador1

I have seen Peterson's first tape. I do not know if that is the current material SCARS is teaching.

If that is the case, a set up to a technique or a counter offensive mind set is nothing new nor is the simultaneous attack/defense. It is in Wing Chun (Lin sil die?), FMA (use of check hand), silat, Boxing, Muay Thai, JKD (intercepts) and fencing (riposte). In each case, it is a highly developed and subtle skill requiring very good timing.

At issue, I feel, is the ability to pull off properly sequenced attacks which are pre-planned based on some theoretical neural response (I say theoretical because it was explained to me by a pressure point fighter that that many types of neural responses are based on a bell shaped curve) is a low probability maneuver.

An example: My understanding is that Jab-cross-hook is one of the most basic of combos in boxing, yet, very infrequently do you see a TKO resulting from a perfect combination of jab-cross-hook.

Theoretically, a jab is a set up, a cross stings, and a hook is a power shot. Jab + Cross + Hook = TKO. Even done sloppily, there should be enough power at least to inflict some damage.

By analogy, if Person "A" attacks me any way, a sucker punch, whatever, and I am quick enough to react, counter him with a jab-cross-hook combo, I should theoretically knock him out.

In boxing, I have seen lots of punches thrown, but I have not personally witnessed a TKO resulting from a jab-cross-hook combo.

In sparring, I have not been knocked out with a jab-cross-hook combo (other stuff, but not the most basic of combos). We are not even at this point considering the fact that a person will react defensively.
Furthermore, not everyone reacts to a jab to the face in exactly the same way.

If a jab-cross-hook is seldom pulled off, what about some other preplanned combos? Wouldn't it be harder to pull off in sparring?

The counter argument to that is that sparring is not combat. True, however, Sparring is a method of training which closely approximates the adrenal state and will allow you to attempt techniques against a non-cooperative oppponent. Of course, sparring has to be done in all its variants (minimal gear, full contact, lots of gear, no gear, etc.)

I find it very difficult to pull off techiniques without some type of basic understanding of power, rhythm, timing, or distance. Sparring develops those things. For instance, a jab may not be the best short range tool. A hook may not be the best long range tool. To simplify is great, but each tool must be utilized properly. What I saw, if I remember correctly was akin to prearranged sets.

In other words, Attacker does this. Defender does this. Attacker then should do this. Then, Defender does this, this and this.

I am not too sure if that is current instruction, but unless that can be done in a sparring situation, it exists purely on the artistic level IMHO.

Murphy isn't too selective on what style he trains in.

Secondarily, I don't think anyone is saying there are unbeatable techniques in the Gracie system or any system. THere are no full proof techniques. Every counter has a counter. Each counter has a counter.

I don't know what your instructor's experience with the Gracie system is, but I know several people within that system who tell me that the system is evolving constantly. Grappling arts as a whole are evolving trememdously from when it first became the rage in the late 80's and early Nineties. IF the exposure to the system resulted in acquiring a few basics, those basics may have changed.

My exposure to BJJ is minimal. However, I know that a straight arm bar and a rear naked choke are not the only tools that you have for a submission nor is the shoot to the waist the only take down.

Thirdly, on a theoretical level, the weapons movements are identical to the empty hands techniques in the FMA. The limited exposure I have to the Doce Pares System teaches that as part of their curriculum. That is not an original or revolutionary idea from SCARS.

In conclusion, I am not necessarily saying that SCARS is bad, FMA is good and best ultimate system yadda yadda yadda.

What I am saying is that if a system is effective, it should be tested in the sparring arena, or what is referred to by some people dismissively as the "sport" setting.

NHB matches may be "sport," but I don't see long lines of people lining up to volunteer and fight in the ring and possibly get their head bashed in. Boxing is a "sport," but I don't see a whole lot of martial arts people lining up to fight boxers. What about Muay Thai, that's the national "sport" of Thailand. How many people would like to try and fight a Thai Boxer? I don't think I would, even if I had a stick! Or Pancrase, anyone want a shot at Bas Rutten?

Now, I have no reason to doubt that D. Wright has done all he claims to have done. I think though that after 25 + years in the martial arts, that must have some effect on being able to absorb the SCARS curriculum and to be able to pull some stuff off. 25 years of full contact sparring will definitely improve timing, distance, rhythm whether it be sparring in TKD, Boxing, or Wrestling. I am glad that someone has found a system that they can use which can be practiced off video and without regular class attendance, can be made to work.

Dave

Page generated in 0.02572 seconds with 8 queries