View Single Post
Old September 4, 1999, 10:32 AM   #17
David Wright

SB.

No harm, no foul. I just had to check you out a little. I see enough postings from current and retired TEAMs guys that give their real name, address, blood type, etc, even when it is a negative posting, I just had to wonder a bit. It's o.k. if you want to keep a low profile.

Sometimes I feel the uncontrollable urge to flush out potential fakes. They are the ones that talk the longest and loudest at the SOF type conventions. I particularaly like these types when they try to "help" me teach a CHL or firearms class. True, the real dudes usually keep a very low profile. When was the last time you saw a SEAL wearing a watch that said "U.S. Navy Seals" on it? Ha!

My personal favorites are phony TEAM guys, Marine snipers and gurus that have never been in a gun fight or serious lethal encounter. I have done those dirty deeds , and it pisses me off royally when folks try to give advice that is based on something they read by a "gun writer" or heard from someone at a shooting range. I bump into TEAM guys on occasion and Marine snipers a little more frequently, and in time, when speaking with the phonies, they usually trip up somewhere.

My praise of SCARS is still legitimate and objective and here's why. For us regular folk who are not actually in the Spec-Ops community, when compared to what else is out there, it is the fastest way I have seen to to get a person up to a lethal level quickly. Also, what I learned in class is not exactly what they taught in BUDs for obvious reasons. It is geared more to civilians for civilian encounters. As you know, most martial arts styles have a lot of of "artistic" moves that don't really contribute to putting the other guy down. SCARS stays away from that stuff. And the new tapes they have on grappling are outstanding.

Show me something that is truly faster to grasp, easier to teach and learn, more eficient and is more effective than SCARS and I will switch. Many have made claims to me, but none have panned out yet.

It either takes too long, requires a higher level of fitness than the average civilian, has too many moves, too much dojo politics, etc. I am open minded. Show me.

I can't speak on the class that was referred to in the Black Belt article because I wasn't in it. The class I attended was not filled with bug eyed SOF wanna-be's, or TEAM groupies. It was filled with fairly skeptical but open minded civilians, one or two military folks, and LEO's. I also avoid most martial arts magazines, gun magazines and SOF magazine. They're going in the direction of National Inquirer and People IMHO.

Another thing that impressed me was the staff, including Jerry himself. He would really work with us and go over in detail various strengths and weaknesses of different systems. To me, he was totally without ego. Same goes for his lead instructor, Tim Larkin(former left coast TEAMs) and Jerry's son, Blake. Anybody who has been around the world a little will figure out pretty quickly after being around these guys, that they aren't phonies.

If you knew me well, I am an EXTREMELY hard sell. The ads don't impress me and although I respect what someone has accomplished in the military or civilian world, titles really don't impress me. Results do. They can get great results from somebody soooooo fast that I cringe when I think of the decades I spent pursuing other martial arts.

What does impress me, is what I saw when we were practicing moves after class. Some of the folks there have substantial martial arts backgrounds, both civilian, military and law enforcement. The bottom line is, when you have an idea (or know outright) of what move the other guy is going to take, and you try many different ways to counteract it, and it still works, you have to sit back and think a moment.

I'm not used to seeing that in any dojo.

As far as that guy losing his tape, that's amazing. If I hated a tape, and could get my money back (as with SCARS) I would send the tape back. They are expensive, but worth it.

Also, although he doesn't go into it on the tapes, but in class, he is truly on to something when it comes to understanding the human mind in combat situations. When he explains it in detail, and clearly demonstrates it to us and to each other over and over, and it works even when we try to REALLY sabotage it and mess it up, you know it works. Even if your moves are a WHOLE lot less than perfect, it still works well. How many martial arts sytles can we both name that will not fit it this catagory. Most of them, right?

As I mentioned long ago in an earlier post, someone that I knew that earned his black belt from Joe Lewis, got killed by a regular 'ole street fighter. My friend was fast and furious, and had his second black belt, but I guess the street fighter wasn't aware of that when he killed him. Something to think about, eh.

Lastly, I have to comment on things said about Jerry personally. Unless one is hung-up on status, it doesn't matter what Jerry's background is or his personal affairs with a former student. When someone cannot objectively argue the merits or doubts about something without constantly casting doubt about the person, there's a problem there.

Your friend's post seems to have a lot of personal opinion (negative) and he perhaps doesn't like people who make money. Even if he doesn't like Jerry, the system still works.

Results are the only thing that really counts.

Show me something faster to learn or better.....

P.S. Went to view the "expert" opinions on knifeforums. If you think these folks are better educated than you, you are mistaken.
If you are an operator as you claim, you can recognize by the style and verbage of those posts, that most of those folks are wannabe's. Right? Right.....

Most of the reviews were:

1. Very(!) subjective personal attacks

2. Written by people that (!) don't really understand the SCARs system. If someone had truly srcutinized this system, and then, in a mature, objective fashion said, "Here's the problems I see..." but we never see that do we?

3. "A reliable, but un-named source that is a good friend of mine at BUD's", et al.....I guess I could play that game too with my contacts.

I will look at the other posts mentioned, but will be sorely dissappointed if they are of the low quality (and low mindset) that I have seen so far. Do you have anything better I can look at?

------------------
David H. Wright
Bring this man a
goat and a bowl of fruit

[This message has been edited by David Wright (edited September 04, 1999).]

Page generated in 0.03047 seconds with 8 queries