Thread: Coyote story
View Single Post
Old December 25, 2005, 08:22 PM   #41
hank327

I happen to like coyotes. Here on the far northern edge of the Dallas/Ft. Worth metromess, we have lots of 'yotes. You can often hear them singing at dusk or dawn. Hearing them sing is like hearing the call of the wild. I often see them on the way to and from work. Usually after they run across the road, they will stop and look back as if to see if you are following them.
This trait has led to many a coyotes' untimely demise.

They are a pretty neat animal and I like having them around. Oddly enough, we have more coyotes around here now than when I was a kid. As the human population of this area has grown, so has the coyote population. The same has happened with whitetail deer. I ran the woods and creeks here constantly as a boy and NEVER saw a deer hoof print much less a deer. Now I see them regularly cross the road. Who would have thought that as humans overrun an area, that the deer and coyotes would follow?

Back to the coyotes though. The city folk moving out to this area just freak out when they see a coyote. There are tv news reports on regularly of new residents demanding that something be done about the coyotes they see/and hear in their new sub-divisions. As for 100 lb. coyotes, I am extremely skeptical about the accuracy of those estimates. If you were to actually shoot a 100 lb. coyote, I would bet that a great deal of "ground shrinkage" would occur between the time of the shot and the time you arrive at the coyotes' body.

Page generated in 0.03883 seconds with 8 queries