View Single Post
Old September 20, 2001, 07:28 AM   #2
Cap n ball

Robert, I think youv'e got the right caliber in mind. There are many fine rifles available now-a-days since the sport of BP shooting has become so popular and you can have them tricked out with just about any gadget or sighting. I see many young people at the range who are learning this art and are loving it.
I would suggest that you buy a copy of some of the fine books by Toby Bridges or Sam Fadala on the subject. Fadala's books are indispensible to the beginning and even more advanced shooter.

I appreciate someone telling the truth about being new to BP. Many people who shoot nothing but cartridge guns of the modern sort think it's the same thing but it isn't. I'm going to list some very important things to remember when you are shooting whith BP. (I assume you know these but there may be others reading these threads who are attracted to the sport and don't and I don't want anyone to have an accident.)

Never smoke while using your muzzleloader or while near any quantity of black powder or PYRODEX®

Before loading, make sure the muzzleloader is not already loaded.

Check and clear the flash hole through the nipple before shooting.

Use only black powder or PYRODEX to load your muzzleloader - never use even small amounts of smokeless powder, even if it is black in color.

Never exceed the manufacturer's maximum recommended powder charge.

Never load a muzzleloader by pouring powder directly from a powder flask or container - a sudden powder ignition from a lingering spark could cause the entire flask to explode.

Only use the ammunition components that exactly match the caliber markings of your firearm and that are meant to be used together.

When loading, be certain powder, patches and projectiles are in their proper sequence and that they are completely seated against one another.

Always use cotton patching - the use of non-cotton patching could build up a static charge possibly creating a spark that could ignite the powder.

Never pound on the ramrod - black powder and PYRODEX are impact sensitive and could ignite from impact.

Know the range of your black powder firearm. Muzzleloading projectiles have a range of more than one-half mile.

If the firearm fails to fire, be prepared for a hangfire - keep the muzzle pointed in a safe direction and wait no less than one full minute before repriming. Then unload the firearm and dispose of the powder, patch and projectile safely. Before reloading, be sure the muzzle and barrel are not obstructed.

Render your black powder firearm inoperable whenever you are not shooting. Never place a percussion cap on the nipple until just before firing and remove it immediately if you do not fire.

Black powder leaves heavy corrosive residues. A thorough cleaning and lubing are absolute necessities before storage and prior to loading and shooting.

Discharging firearms in poorly ventilated areas, cleaning firearms, or handling ammunition components may result in dangerous exposure to lead.

HAVE FUN!

Page generated in 0.02611 seconds with 8 queries