Thread: Sig P290
View Single Post
Old June 16, 2013, 08:37 AM   #6
rodfac

I've got one, albeit in a brushed SS slide configuration...that rainbow finish is the ugliest thing I've seen in quite awhile...but beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder...more power to you Kcub if you like it.

My P290 has been back to the factory once for light firing pin strikes...Sig fixed it on their nickle including shipping, but it still leaves an occasional light indent...tho no FTF's. If you get one, I'd recommend getting the 2nd strike feature...standard on the 2nd generation models.

As to the gun itself: I find it too heavy to carry in a front pocket, too short to carry in a rear jeans pocket. See the pic below for the holster I built to allow carry in the FBI 4 o'clock position.

The trigger pull is long when compared to a Glock, but about the same as my other Sig, a P226. The P290 is DA only with a reset that's unusable for me. But then again, I don' t utilize a Glock's reset either....(makes it easier to transition from a 1911 SA only trigger to the newer DA triggers from a training standpoint).

Functioning (on all but the light firing pin strike rounds) has been 100%...no other failures. I've used my own handloads from full power defense loads to powder puff lead allow target rounds with no problem.

Accuracy with either magazine is great (they make both 6 and 8 rounders). The six round one leaves your pinkie finger in the air, but seems to make no difference to my shooting at defense distances up to 10 yds. Impact points with either mag are identical. In realistic firing, shooting controlled pairs (two distinct sight pictures as opposed to a double tap...one sight picture with two trigger manipulations), 3" gps at 10 yds are the norm...ammunition doesn't seem to matter as the gun will do it with powder puff to +P. In slow fire, deliberate use, I can get sub 2" gps all the way out to 10 yds.

Sights: love the Sig night sights...so much so that I'll never buy another automatic without them; and am in the process of re-sighting my other guns. Initially the gun shot low for me (-2" at 7 yds) with my grip and trigger squeeze...a call to Sig cured that...they sent me a different front sight and would have done it gratis if I'd sent the gun back; and all on their nickle too. Installing with LIGHT taps from a brass drift and small ball peen was no problem.

Usability: I've included it in my CCW rotation with a S&W M36, both carried in the FBI position, OWB at 4 o'clock. It's proven its reliability and is somewhat thinner than the S&W. Printing is about the same with either gun, and not something I find a problem despite what other shooters have opined about a revolver's cylinder bulge.

Overall, it's a good CCW option, a bit heavy for pocket (but that same weight helps control +P level rounds), with a long trigger pull that will need some training to get used to...and built with Sig's attention to fit & finish...combine all that with great customer service to back it up, and you've got a pretty good defensive gun.

HTH's Rod

Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Page generated in 0.03851 seconds with 8 queries