View Single Post
Old October 7, 2009, 01:59 PM   #18
Major Dave (retired)

A lot of good advice, guys!

Thanks a lot.

To answer some of your questions -
The Field Artillery lives and dies by topo maps, so, yes I use them. As a service school instructor, I taught land navigation (compass/topo map) classes on a quarterly basis for 8 years. Already marked my hunting topos at each 1 K interval. Have plotting aids (GI issue) to measure UTM grid and grid azimuths, conversion of magnetic (compass) azimuths to grid (topo map) azimuths, etc. Squared away on that.

Base camp will be at 9 K, using wall tents with cots and heaters. Will have a cook tent and 2 sleeping tents, 7 hunters. "Guide" will provide/set up tents, bring cooking pots/pans/utensils, and cook whatever food we buy and bring. "Guide" will not go hunting with any of us. Free to hunt individually, or buddy up in groups of 2 or 3, whatever you feel like.

I will probably start hunting within 2 or 3 (1,000 yard) grid squares of base camp, the first few days, before I get too brave and go out further.

I will have 4 days prior to the hunt to acclimate a little:
Leave home (500 ft elev), and travel to 3,500 elevation first night.
Second day travel from 3.5 K to 7.5 K, and spend 3 days there. Leisure time, visit w/BIL, maybe shoot some of his coyotes!
Fifth day travel from 7.5 K to 9 K (base camp).

I have been walking laps (half an hour), climbing stairs (another half hour), and walking either 2 miles or 4 miles around the (hilly) neighborhood, with a 15 lb weight in my day pack for 3 weeks, now.

What else can/should I do?

Last edited by Major Dave (retired); October 7, 2009 at 02:04 PM. Reason: Typo/add info

Page generated in 0.02641 seconds with 8 queries