View Single Post
Old August 12, 2005, 09:23 AM   #32
m0ntels

I have the Lee dipper set, and I use it from time to time. Not so much now that I got another adjustable powder measure that is portable, but I used them and trusted them, and all charges were withing +/- .2 grains with W231, IMR-4064, Blue Dot, and whatever else I used.

My questions and comments arent saying that there is a definite chance of someone screwing up if they never use a scale. Odds are they never will. But using a scale is a good habit to get into. The MEC charge bars are close to something like a Lil Dandy, and the manual for that says to check the charge against a scale. You can do whatever you want. Maybe you've never put a dipper back in the wrong spot. Maybe your kid never stuck a cherrio in the bottom of one. Whatever.

I know now that I've gotten more experience that I dont check and double check near as much when I started. And I'm fine with that because now I know I have a good idea of what I'm doing. My point is, I dont think that if people are new at this and asking us for questions, we should be passing this kind of thing on to them right from the start. We're quick to tell them to not start with a progressive because they need to take their time and get aquainted with the process and to go slow and check things, but now we're going to tell a brand new loader that it is safe to assume some powder charges? I know plenty of people do. That's fine because it's their body parts and guns. Everyone I've shown how to reload has, and will always, be taught that a scale is a neccessary item. A Lee scale is only $20 for crying out loud.

Randy

Page generated in 0.02932 seconds with 8 queries