View Single Post
Old March 3, 2013, 09:21 AM   #27
Viper225

The first consideration is: How are you going to carry it??

If the answer is a holster on the belt, get a Steel J Frame it will kick less. The 640, 649, 60 etc will work as well as an SP101 Ruger. Then get a quality leather holster such as a Lobo Model 1 Pancake to carry in.

If you are planning on pocket carry you will be looking at airweights. I am currently carrying a 442 Pro, I have also owned an LCR 357, and currently own an LCR 22. You are correct in that you can tell a difference between an LCR 38 and an LCR 357 in your pocket.
Between an LCR 38 and an LCR 357 it is a tough call. The 357 being heavier should kick less with 38 +P carry ammo. You could also put a 357 Short Barrel in it for the last shot for Defensice Carry.

If I had a an LCR 38, and LCR 357, and a 442 to pick from for pocket carry, what would I pick???

I would probably pick the LCR 357 of the Three
The LCR Ruger has a Pinned on Front Sight. It is easy and cheap to change to Fiber Optic or an XS 24/7 Tritium Night sight.
The added weight while noticable is not a show stopper for pocket carry.
It is built a little tougher than the 38 version.
Nothing wrong with a 442 Pro either. I have Green Site Brite sight paint on the front sight, and I can pick it up well. Great choice of after markey grips for the J Frame.
It would be hard to go wrong with either choice. My 442 Pro Moon Clip with Hogue Checkered Walnut grips does look better than the LCR.

For belt carry what would I pick????

Between a 640 and a Ruger SP101, it would be a tough choice.
Again I like the Pinned on Front Sight of the Ruger.
But I can live with Green Sight Brite on the S&W.
Either is again a great choice.

Looks like you have it pretty much narrowed down. Now for availability and price. Either may be a little hard to come up with at a reasonable price at the moment.

Bob

Page generated in 0.04550 seconds with 8 queries