View Single Post
Old March 10, 2000, 01:07 PM   #5
Puddle Pirate

Ford,
If the gun and ammo makers don't come up with something new every once in a while, how are they going to sell more guns?

Hantra,
I can see the point of both options. That's why I have both a shotgun and a 1911 for HD. The shotgun is much better for stationary defense, i.e. barricading yourself in a bedroom while waiting on the 911 call to be responded to. The handgun is better at mobile. Such as going downstairs to check if that noise was your son sneaking in past curfew, or a crackhead looking for money. Best idea is to try both, and pick the one that best suits your defensive plan.

The difference between a 12 ga and a 20 ga in HD scenarios is very small. If recoil sensitivity is a major concern the 20 is a much better option. 12 ga is slightly cheaper for the normaly recommended HD rounds, but general purpose shells run about the same here. Stay away from 16 and 28 ga though, they are getting pretty rare, and as a result, the ammo is quite expensive.

Just remember that a shotgun doesn't really live up to its nickname of "scattergun". I don't have my pattern results handy, but IIRC, a modified cylinder, one of the more common of chokes, has a pattern of about 2" at 10 yds. It's not as easy as "point it in the general direction."

I hope this has helped. Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Eric

------------------
Does the "X" ring have to be that small?

Page generated in 0.02845 seconds with 8 queries