View Single Post
Old March 5, 2010, 06:57 PM   #15
Big Bill

Double Naught - Ah Yes! The myth of the noble redman; the myth of the noble cowboy; the myth of the noble feminist; the myth of the noble buffalo hunter; the myth of the noble (insert favorite myth here); all have similar roots. In most cases, they are devoid of truth and have no basis in reality.

I agree with you that many people have all kinds of misconceptions about wolves, coyotes, cougars, etc. These animals always will do whatever it takes to survive. It’s a mistake to fail to understand this that some people make when entering the territory of dangerous animals.

Several years ago, I was out hunting with three of my friends in a remote are of the southwestern Idaho desert. We parked just off the road and hiked back several miles along a ridge to do some scouting. One thing lead to another and we got caught out after dark. As we were heading back to our truck using the battery powered headlamps we each were carrying, we started to hear noises and catch some glimpses of predator eyes circling around us. There must have been four or more coyotes surrounding us. They circled us the entire the time we were making our way out of there. We were all armed with 22s, and had fired a few times at them; but, it didn’t matter. They just continued to circle us. There was no moon out and it was very dark. It was a spooky sensation for us to be the hunted instead of the hunters. One that I will never forget.

When I go into the woods, I try to be as prepared as possible for animal attacks (and human attacks). I do the same when I go for a walk in town. I have been attacked personally by dogs at least two times while taking a walk here in town just within the last three years. I carry some dog spray, a knife and sidearm whenever I go walking now.

This thread was started just as a heads up to people hunting in Colorado, because I hadn’t heard of wolves that far south before. I think, given the wolfs supporters agenda, that it won’t be too long before wolves are more common in many more states where they aren’t common now.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time." - General George Patton Jr

Last edited by Big Bill; March 5, 2010 at 07:08 PM.

Page generated in 0.02966 seconds with 8 queries