View Single Post
Old August 15, 2012, 10:54 AM   #15
ClydeFrog

Stupid people, tragic out-comes....

In many incidents, good judgement & common sense can avoid mishaps or worse, a fatal shooting.
Years ago, while stationed at a small US Army post in the mid-south, I was working as an MP station desk clerk. I had my issued M9 9x19mm on me and saw a unknown male walk up to the side door, drawing a semi auto pistol. The male wore regular clothes & had no badges or logos/uniform items.
I was about to draw my Beretta pistol when I saw the male(who was a plain-clothes MPI or investigator) unload & clear his sidearm.

Being alert was a good effort on my part, knowing when to fire & using good judgement(not shooting the MPI in the doorway) was smart too.
In another incident, while deployed to Panama(Fort Clayton) I was dispatched to a domestic call on post at a housing unit. When I got to the scene, an unknown female in regular clothes walked up towards me & other uniformed MPs. I told the female to stop repeatedly, which she ignored. I was about to draw my weapon & detain the female when she, at the last second, pulled out her MP badge & creds(a slang term for LE identification). The investigator used poor tactics & judgement. Her inept behavior at the domestic violence scene could have caused a shooting.
Recently, a group of sheriff's deputies in my metro area shot & killed a man in a tragic accident. They did a "no-knock" warrant at 130am on the wrong location. The home owner, an armed male, opened the door & was killed by the deputies. A civil action is now on-going. The sworn deputies were cleared by the county sheriff.

Always remember the old saying; "There's no such thing as friendly fire."

Clyde

Page generated in 0.03230 seconds with 8 queries