View Single Post
Old December 21, 2010, 01:22 AM   #41
Ignition Override

Although I'm not a true collector, it is the rifles' original configurations which often can not be restored.

I understand Volucris' views, as it often appears that a large fraction of guns were modified, and have heard/read that many were in good condition. Are many people still doing this?
Could these people not afford a civilian hunting rifle, so that they can leave military rifles alone?

I've seen almost nothing about people wanting to sporterize the CMP's M-1 Garands, but it is possible.
Over at "Surplusrifle", they limit discussion of how to do it.

While past activities which increase present day 'collectability' are considered virtues by some (so a seller can make a profit?), this makes it much more difficult for shooters, who began this hobby later in life, to find guns in the original configurations.

It is bad enough that some British/Euro associations (they have websites) organize the destruction of large stockpiles of surplus weapons, and pay other countries to do so (i.e. South Africa now destroys Enfields, as if war lords prefer these over AKs...).

Last edited by Ignition Override; December 24, 2010 at 12:48 AM.

Page generated in 0.03713 seconds with 8 queries