Thread: hunting
View Single Post
Old November 6, 2009, 05:19 PM   #6
FrankenMauser

I can't find my map.
Area 3 is the one that runs between the southern board of Eglin, and the main bombing range, isn't it? Between Navarre and Mary Esther? (Except for a few spots that are attached to other areas.)

It sounds a bit counter-intuitive, but your best bet might be to stay close to the houses. (Or highway, depending upon which part of the unit you're in.) When I was there, that area had more deer running around the woods near the houses, than farther in.

One reason for the above phenomenon, and something to look out for:
That area doesn't have very many water sources, and half of what is there is seasonal. If you can, push a little farther west, toward Holley. Just watch out for the poachers.

In that area, I saw the most deer between the power line road (southern board of the 'closed' area) and Hwy 87, around Dean Creek, between Holley and the Landfill.

Oh... If you haven't been out there before - don't believe the map Jackson Guard gives out. Many of those "roads" are not passable in a vehicle. Many are even difficult on an ATV. A few near Choctaw Airfield (Aux field 6, I think) are actually passable by jet ski.

Page generated in 0.03582 seconds with 8 queries