View Single Post
Old September 28, 2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Tomac

I've owned numerous AR's over the years, everything from stock SP-1's to a custom XM-177E2 and had problems w/all of them. I know there are reliable AR's out there but I no longer trust the platform. Like a performance racing car that has better acceleration, handling, etc but has too many potential problem areas that have to be watched.
Are the gas rings aligned properly? Is the gas key properly staked? Am I using the right ammo w/the right mags w/the right followers w/the right lube for the current conditions? Let's not talk about double-feed jams, what happens w/a buttstroke-like impact or how the DI gas system blows crud to exactly where you *don't* want it (sigh...)
AK's have been the most reliable & easy to maintain rifles I have ever owned. Several years ago I bought 2 new 5.45 SAR-2 AK's and right out of the box w/o cleaning or lubing put 2,000rds of Wolf 60gr 5.45 ammo through each of them (4K rds total in one day w/friends helping shoot & load mags) w/o a single malfunction of any kind and they were accurate enough to consistently hit the 300m gong if I did my part. Anyone care to try that kind of test w/a new AR right-out-of-the-box?
The AK won't win any beauty contests and it may not be as ergonomic or inherently accurate as the AR but I trust it far more.
Just MHO...
Tomac

Page generated in 0.03151 seconds with 8 queries