View Single Post
Old November 7, 2000, 08:36 PM   #12
MAD DOG

"If you look at those units in the US that are often allowed to carry what they desire, you still see them carrying M16s"...

And their other choices are???
Gimme a break. The AR15/M16 Insult rifle is their only issue choice in 99% of the units that are "Allowed to carry their choice".

I know some SEALS that carry HK 91s, and some that carry other stuff like AKs. I also know that they are not ISSUED any of these, and have to buy them out of pocket. They carry these because they WORK, not because they are trendy.

If I were ever unfortunate enough to be given FREE (made by lowest bidder) M16s and the training that goes with them, I would probably carry one right up until the moment I had my first problem with one in combat conditions, at which time I would opt to re-select weapons or go home in a bag.
Problem is, the learning curve in combat is necessarily fairly steep, whereas on the USMC parade ground or rifle range, it is not nearly so taxing.

Point being: The AR rifle can not make any errors. It was made IN error. It is the WRONG TOOL for the job.
The rifle has to be tough enough to survive high stress user errors (without getting insulted), and KEEP WORKING.
Pansy gun... but don't ask, don't tell,
It may get insulted.

[This message has been edited by MAD DOG (edited November 07, 2000).]

Page generated in 0.03046 seconds with 8 queries