View Single Post
Old February 2, 2014, 10:53 PM   #1
Metal god

Old Rem 700 trigger problem .

I was at the range the other day and my buddy brought his 700 bolt action in 270 . He had bought it used a few months ago . I believe it was made in the mid 70s .

He called me over to his bench and said the gun would not fire . I started looking the rifle over . The bolt was working fine but the trigger was rock solid . It would not move , It was like the safety was on or something . I played with the safety a bit clicking it back and forth and worked the bolt a few times and got the trigger to drop the hammer .

I went ahead worked the bolt again put the safety back on and when I pushed the back to the fire position the hammer dropped I just sat there thinking thank goodness I did not put a round in it yet . I worked the bolt and safety a few more times and it did it again . This gun would be firing if there was a round in the chamber when the safety is disengaged .

I had read about the older 700s having this issue but was told and read it was a bunch a bull . I'm hear to tell you I watched it happen 3 times yesterday while I was operating the rifle .

The fact the rifle was used we have no idea if anybody had tinkered with the trigger . Alls I know is that Remington 700 is unsafe . I told my buddy he needs to take it to a gunsmith and ask if it looked like it had any work done to it then send it to Remington to see what they have to say .

Any of you seen this first had ?

Should he send it to Remington or just put a new after market trigger in it and call it a day ?

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Page generated in 0.03042 seconds with 8 queries