View Single Post
Old June 27, 2010, 04:16 PM   #2
Landric

I don't think that anyone is suggesting that the .410 Buckshot loads couldn't be used effectively for self-defense. The point I see the most (and it happens to be my opinion on the matter as well) is that there are much better choices for self-defense than .410 Buckshot. Can it be used? Sure, and it would probably be effective pretty regularly. The real question is, what advantage does it offer over more traditional and more proven self defense cartridges (like the .45 Colt)? How much does a 000 Buck pellet weigh? A .410 slug is about 90 grains, I suspect that one 000 buck pellet weighs significantly less. On the other hand, a .45 Colt is generally throwing a 255 grain bullet.

I think people are trying to turn the .410 into something its not. Generally that doesn't work out exceptionally well. I am sure a .410 revolver is an exceptionally fun gun to shoot, and owning a gun for that reason is perfectly legitimate. On the other hand, while it might work out as a self-defense gun, its not ideal for a number of reasons that include bulk, slow to reload, limited capacity, and questionable ballistics of the .410 bore. Shooting .45 Colt its no slouch, but on the other hand there are much more reasonable revolvers to be had if one wants to shoot .45 Colt.

Landric

Page generated in 0.03589 seconds with 8 queries