View Single Post
Old March 1, 2011, 03:19 AM   #26
HiBC

One thing you might make note of:That Taylorforce guy lives in Colorado and hunts the sort of thing you want to hunt.
He is not wrong.There are other choices,of course.
You are probably going to want a 300 yd gun.Oh,and we have pronghorn,too.
Most of the medium standard 30-06 ish type guns you can sight about 2 in high at 100,on at 200,maybe 8 in low at 300.
You can like what you like,but at your budget,a Weaver K- 6 might be a good scope.
I like Win m-70'S,A good choice,very good.If you can find a Mark 10 mauser or some of the other older good hunting rifles,used,Husquvarna,Harrinton and Richardson,some like JC Higgins or Ted Williams had Mauser Supreme actions.
Not a lot of folks recomend them,for some reason,but I think a Ruger 77 is a good rifle,and of course,Savage,reminton,etc,all have a following.
I have lived in Colorado since 1966.I am in the middle of building a rifle about like Taylorforce described.
A good friend sold me a Mauser action long ago.A 1909 Argentine.In the random parts box,I have a commerecial mauser 30-06 length steel guard/magazine in full 30-06 length.Next week,a Lothar Walther #2 light sporter 30-06 barrel will show up.Last nigt,I ordered a Win M-70 type Gentry safety.I have already lapped in a commercial mauser bolt.I ordered a Timney trigger ,and Warne has some Weaver style steel mounts that do not require grinding the stripper clip feature off the rear bridge.I have my last Garrett Accra-lite glass,kevlar and foam stock,in a Win M-70 FWT pattern,to freefloat glass bed on it.Its going to get a fixed power 6x Leupold FX3,6x42 on it.
That is my idea of a good hunting rifle for what you describe.
The M-70 FWT is probably a little better.Just a little.

Page generated in 0.02740 seconds with 8 queries