View Single Post
Old July 2, 2012, 02:57 PM   #1
Pond, James Pond

Saiga Vs Bolt action .308. Which would you choose?

I like the idea of a bolt action. I like the bolt's movement and simplicity.
I like the idea of a semi. I like the higher rate of fire and I like the looks.

Although I hadn't planned on another purchase a decent deal has arisen on a 22" Saiga in .308 coming in at just over €400. It is 2 and half years old and has allegedly only fired 250 rounds.
This is possible if it was a hunting weapon.

It is way cheaper than even the secondhand Zastava M70 I had referred to in another thread. That Zastava with cheapo Tasco scope is already €500. A new CZ550 is €650 and over, depending on the model.

I want to learn to shoot long range. I'd have the .22 for the technique and the .308 for thrills. For me, given range regulations, that would be out to 300m. I could also be something to rely on in uncertain times. I would reload.

I think to myself that a 10rd mag is better than a 4 round mag and
faster firing rate can only be better.

I think that bolts are simpler and so less to break, but then I also think this is an AK variant, known for not breaking!

But then there is accuracy, and I notice that all those doing Youtube scope adjustment videos and long range shooting demos all seem to have bolt actions. Coincidence?

Help me decide if I should pounce on this or just wait.

Teach me the relative merits and qualities, faults and failures of semis and bolts.

Page generated in 0.03034 seconds with 8 queries