View Single Post
Old February 2, 2010, 06:51 AM   #60
Lee Lapin

Chaz88,

I'll paraphrase Louis Awerbuck on the subject: 'candy cane' loading is a bad idea because 1) under serious pressure, very few shooters can keep up with how many rounds they've fired, and 2) every time you press the trigger of a shotgun, you need to know what's coming out of the muzzle and what that load is likely to do.

Very few gunfights go according to a strict plan, ANYONE's plan. What if the first thing the BG does is duck behind cover substantial enough to stop birdshot, BBs, and buckshot, and you need to have a slug to get through it? How's that 'progressive' magazine load idea working now, with the slug you need buried as deep in the magazine as it can go?

Louis says he's not smart enough to keep up with more than one kind of ammo, and just shoots slugs in a defensive shotgun. I'm not smarter than Louis, but I'm willing to put up with a little more hassle, and keep 00 buckshot in the magazines of defensive shotguns here, and slugs in the Sidesaddle. There's always room left in the magazines for one more round, which means a slug can be loaded first if it's needed first. Worst case, we're no more than one round away from getting a slug in the chamber.

Take ANY good defensive shotgun class, and you will learn the importance of loading the gun, first, last and always. Learn to load the gun on the fly- that's the main difference in gunfighting with a shotgun, and shooting little birdies that don't shoot back.

fwiw,

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.

Page generated in 0.03091 seconds with 8 queries