View Single Post
Old December 27, 2013, 01:56 PM   #7
JimDandy

Hey Spats, I realize this could be as simple as "because they wanted to deal with handguns" but why does this legislation not exempt people who store long guns in a similar manner?

Is there some multiple-hoop-jumping-through for definitions in this section of that section for a yet a third section that says for the purposes of trigger locks all long guns are hand guns becasue they're hand operated or man-portable or something?

In other words, it feels kind of squirrely, that for all "We're not going after hunters" preamble in a lot of gun control legislation- which this arguably isn't-, that long guns aren't getting the same qualified immunity.

You mentioned this wasn't an opportunity to expand gun rights, but if I read this right, I think there is an opening. Amend it to replace handgun with firearm. The pro-gun people will love to give statutory immunity to proper storage, and the pro-control people can't afford to straddle that fence after spending all year talking about not going after hunters. The trick is finding enough Reps who think it's important enough to spend time on it.

Page generated in 0.02109 seconds with 8 queries