View Single Post
Old July 3, 2014, 01:31 PM   #13
Sevens

It's been said many times that the Dan Wesson design with barrel suspended at each end is what promotes it's extreme accuracy. It's also been said that all the Smith & Wesson X-frames provide extremely fine accuracy for the same reason. (the X-frames are not swappable barrels, but they are two-piece barrels that are suspended at each end. In fact, they are swappable, but only at the factory, but they aren't huge hunks of steel with a rifled hole bored out of them like a traditional S&W barrel)

The newest of the Smith & Wesson revolvers are also going to the sleeved barrel. The new Model 69 and the Model 66 both.

So the "feature" of swapping out barrels on a whim isn't necessarily the real carrot to the Dan Wesson system. And for the guys who used the big DW's back in the day for long distance silhouette competitions, the swappable barrel wasn't a feature they used to change the format of the platform relative to their mood, it was a feature that allowed them to just tear up a barrel and then replace it when they cooked it up enough that it made sense to replace.

The design of a revolver with a two-piece swappable barrel is ingenious and the real beauty of it has been missed by so many.

Page generated in 0.03632 seconds with 8 queries