View Single Post
Old November 22, 2000, 10:12 AM   #12
ModIMark0

Aha! I'm afraid that with the low light level and the nonreflective surfase of the 870, I completely missed the absent upper half of the mount and assumed it was there! I am somewhat surprised that someone was selling only half of the assembly.
Constructing a copy of the upper half appears to be a relatively simple process that wouldn't take too long and would involve bending a plate 180 degrees on the ends, drilling/tapping three holes to correspond with the ones on the lower half of the mount/bracket, drilling/cutting out a section on top to allow it to accomodate the front sight, and then bending it along a rod or blank the same diameter as the 870 barrel, as well as beadblasting and parkerizing and finding suitable screws for the assembly. I can offer you a sketch of the upper mount/bracket for more insights on its construction or other assistance.
A couple more questions on your 870:
1. Where did you get the synthetic furniture? The fore end looks like an exact copy of the original 870 Mk.I except that its not walnut.
2. Do you have removable chokes on your 20" barrel? In the picture you posted the barrel looks longer than a 20" barrel with the Remington factory magazine extension (the stepped portion of the extension tends to extend past the muzzle of the 20" barrel about 3/4").
I know the original Mk.Is had a 21" barrel, which is impossible to find, and I am thinking of buying a Mossberg made 24" Rem 870 barrel, having it cut down to 21", and having a flush improved cylinder choke (the type used on the Mk.I) installed and the front sight attached to the upper half of the mount/bracket, though I am having second thoughts on that since removing and reattaching the bracket/mount would likely affect the front sight's alignment.
Is there any help that I can offer you?

Page generated in 0.02872 seconds with 8 queries