Thread: CVA Electra
View Single Post
Old January 2, 2008, 12:14 AM   #29
Gewehr98

I am so surprised...

To see a username with "Flinter" in it disparaging the merits of an electronic-ignition muzzleloader - NOT.

As a retired military combat aviator, I've seen plenty of electrically-fired ammo, particularly of the 20mm Vulcan variety, and fired many, many rounds of the same. You don't know how nervous I was about not having a ground strap going back to the earth on those sorties. From what I understand, those guns were an accident waiting to happen, just like those horrible Voere VEC-91 rifles of late.

Back to the topic at hand, and answering LawDog's question:

Quote:
I don't see anywhere in the Electra system for the air to go -- so I assume that as you ram the ball/bullet you are also compressing the air in the barrel.

Does this air-compression cause the Electra to require more effort to load?

If so, how much more effort? If not, why not?
It ain't as much of a problem as one would think. I considered that same issue when I load my .45-70 BP rounds, and use my compression die to squeeze the powder column prior to seating the 535gr Postell bullets. I use a fiberboard over-powder wad, and squeeze the Goex Cartridge a good 1/2" with that compression die. When seating the bullet so that the base of the bullet is pressed firmly against the over-powder wad and previously-compressed BP column, I know I'm compressing the volume of air I trap in there as the bullet enters the case mouth. I don't notice any extra effort in seating the bullet, nor do I have any problems with ringed chambers or other issues usually associated with the old "short starting" error.

I'm guessing that the small amount of air compressed by the piston action of the seated bullet means little as long as the bullet is seated against the powder column. Bullet tension is more than enough to keep things in place against the "air spring", at least with respect to the long bore-riding section of my BPCR bullets. Perhaps a patched round ball or sabot may very well allow the compressed air to leak by until the shock of BP ignition obturates it for a better seal, much like the Minie' Ball.

Bottom line, compressed air or otherwise, mark your ramrod so you know your bullet is seated against the powder charge every time. The few milliliters of of air you may be compressing into the powder charge won't mean anything in the general scheme of things.

Neural Misfires

Page generated in 0.03643 seconds with 8 queries