View Single Post
Old August 4, 2005, 07:01 PM   #6
butch50

I was in Alaska, with a friend who had shot a very large black bear with a .357. One shot kill - hit it in the little white spot on the chest.

After we had skinned it and were carrying the head/hide and some of the meat out we were charged by another very large black bear. One gun between us and Ray had it. I had an armful of dead bear.

I was in the process of dumping the skin and heading towards a tree to climb when I heard this blood curdling scream/yell sound. I stopped in my tracks and turned around (thinking I had a bear coming up my butt at that), and there stood ray, pistol aimed and ready. He had let out a rebel yell at the bear, which caused it to stop in it's tracks, just as I had.

The bear stood there popping his jaws shut (sounded like steel traps slamming shut), growling, hair on end, and swaying back and forth. I would say about 30 feet away, maybe a bit less. Ray yelled at it again, and it shook it's head and walked away, looking back occasionally.

That was the most cool headed man I have ever known. Had I had the gun instead of him I would have been shooting. He told me later he already got his bear and didn't need another one.

‘‘The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.’’ ~ Patrick Henry

Page generated in 0.02166 seconds with 8 queries