View Single Post
Old May 31, 2012, 11:51 PM   #12
Lost Sheep

What's your budget (in dollars and in rounds)

If you are REALLY sure you want to start on a progressive, you can. With the cautions you have received from the earlier posts, so I won't reiterate them.

I will note that almost every handloader has a single stage press on his bench, no matter what other presses he has. Some things are just better done on a single stage. Stiffer, simpler, stronger, cheaper and easier to learn on.

If 200 rounds per hour would be adequate for you, an auto-indexing turret will do. If you need 250 or more rounds per hour, a progressive. But the increased production rate comes at a cost. Money and the complications of caliber swaps which are more complex on progressives than on turrets or single stages.

Lee Progressives are cheap enough that you could own one for every caliber you shoot, relieving the caliber swap complications, at the cost of space on your loading bench.

Dillons are the top of the line, by all reports, and if you have the budget for it, the way to go.

Hornady and RCBS are good and solid and many prefer them even to Dillon (for particular characteristics, usually).

I cannot advise you first hand on any but the Lee Pro-1000, but can highly recommend the Lee Classic Turret as a starting press for the chamberings you mentioned. It can act as a single stage or take advantage of its auto-indexing for production rates greater than any other turret press in current production.

But we can advise you better if you let us know your shooting goals and habits.

Thanks for asking our advice.

Lost Sheep

p.s. I took a quick look at your posting history, but could not get a "feel" for your comfort level with operating a press (sorry, but to give advice, I have to make some judgements). Rather than "shoot in the dark", I seek more knowledge of your style and goals.

Last edited by Lost Sheep; June 1, 2012 at 12:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.02918 seconds with 8 queries