View Single Post
Old February 26, 2012, 05:01 PM   #1
Mrgunsngear

Theis Holster Reviews

As the popularity of concealed carry continues to grow, the number of concealed carry holster makers continues to grow right along with it. I've tried all kinds of holsters over the years in search of something that was comfortable and concealed the firearm well. For carrying along the waistband, I've found that the most comfortable way to carry is by using a hybrid leather and kydex holster.

Tommy Theis, the man behind Theis Holsters, makes some of the best IWB holsters I've ever tried. I first heard about his products from a gun forum and at the time I was primarily using Crossbreed holsters. Crossbreed make a very good product but it is an expensive product. Theis holsters start at $55 for basic models, so I figured I'd give them a shot. All Theis holsters come with a lifetime warranty and a 2 week risk free trial period. My first holster was for my PPQ:

I was impressed with the quality of it and the design. Theis offers metal, kydex, and "J hook" clips for all of his holsters. The standard cut of the leather was what many holster makers call a 'combat cut,' except other makers charge extra for this. I also like the texture of the leather on the backside of the holster; it's finished just like on the front side. Some holster makers have a rough texture on the back which is kind of annoying because that's the side that contacts the skin of the wearer. I've worn this holster for a few days a week for about a year now and the holster looks good as new. It's held up to hot southern summer days (and the sweat absorption that comes with it) as well as cold days up in the northeast.

The second holster I purchased was for my Kahr CM9. This combination of this holster and the lightweight, slim CM9 make for a very comfortable carry experience.

The Kahr CM9 may be great for summer carry, but during the winter with the additional layers of sweatshirts and even jackets, larger firearms can be concealed. So, I was browsing www.theisholsters.com and I noticed a customer picture of a holster designed for a Beretta with a light on it. I browsed the drop down menu of the site but didn't see any light holsters. So, I sent Tommy an email asking if he could make a holster for my G22 with a TRL2 attached. I was pretty sure he wouldn't have a mold for that so I offered to send in my TRL2 as well. Within about 3 hours, I had a response saying to send it in and he would build a custom holster for me. I sent the light in along with payment and 2 weeks later I had the holster in my mailbox.

Here's the Thies holster next to one of my Crossbreed Supertuck's (note the difference in the cut and the texture of the Crossbreed):

For more photos and the full review, please click on the link below:
http://gunreviewguy.blogspot.com/201...r-reviews.html

Page generated in 0.02792 seconds with 8 queries