Thread: 357 versus deer
View Single Post
Old December 11, 2012, 09:44 PM   #7
Deja vu

I have killed many mule deer with a 357 magnum (probably in the neighborhood of 20). I don't consider my self an expert hunter by any means.

What is my secret?

1. Long barrel. My 357 magnum that I hunt with is a Marlin trapper carbine. The 357 magnum gains a lot of power from longer barrels.

2. Ideal place for hunting. I usually harvest the deer from my back porch. I sit in the chair before first light on opening day and wait. I use the rail on the porch as a rest and I have the back yard marked off with a tree every 10 yards so I know the distance (all most like a foot ball field)

My favorite load before I started reloading was the Buffalo-bore 158 grain bullets. They where doing about 2050 fps from this trapper (just under 1500 foot pounds of muzzle energy)

Most of the deer I have killed went less than 10 yards after being shot. The furthest one has gone is about 60 yards. Now I am not saying that the 357 magnum is an ideal gun, What I am saying is that I am comfortable with this gun harvesting deer from my back porch. When I actually have to hunt (Walk around or in unfamiliar places) I use a 45-70.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...

Last edited by Deja vu; December 11, 2012 at 09:49 PM.

Page generated in 0.02968 seconds with 8 queries