View Single Post
Old February 3, 2010, 03:51 AM   #7
bamaranger

I pondered this very question recently, and asked some very experienced people to boot. Here's some answers I got. I also used two borrowed Harris's, in my first F-class matches, one a 6-9 notched/swivel, and the other a 9-13 sliding/fixed and offer my own observations.

The 6-9 offers a lower shooter profile, and because it IS lower, is probably more stable. But......I found 6 inches hard to stay behind from prone, (to low) over the course of a 15-20 minute F-Class course of fire. I found myself running a borrowed the 6-9 up to 9 inches for prone fire. Conversely, 6 inches seems ideal from a sitting position on a bench.

I left the 9-13, at 9 and it matched the feel of the extended 6-9, obviously.
The notched legs set up quicker, but the sliders, while slower, offer the advantage of varying heights, which can off set a cambered/unlevel shooting site, important if your bipod does not swivel.

Although you did not ask, I would say buy a swivel model, no matter what else you decide. The rifle/reticule must be level for best and repeatable accuracy. Coupled w/ the oversized pod-lock gadget accessory, you can level the rifle much easier and quicker.

I can also see where the 13" and higher models offer the advantage of getting above obstacles, but that does not matter in my shooting from an established firing line.

What did I do. Santa brought me the monster Sinclair rest, I returned my borrowed Harris's, and bought a look-alike cheapie for cleaning and storage.

Page generated in 0.02364 seconds with 8 queries