View Single Post
Old January 24, 1999, 07:46 PM   #9
Jeff Thomas

Rich, thanks for starting this thread (doesn't it belong in 'Shotguns'? - just having fun with you).

I also noted the article at the Firearms Tactical Institute. That article came to mind when I was rereading Massad F. Ayoob's 'In the Gravest Extreme'. I read that Ayoob also suggested #1 buck, but without much discussion. This book was written almost 20 years ago, and it is usually cited more often for its combat / legal advice. However, on pg 101 (15th edition) he says:

'Some consideration should be given to ammo selection. One who can place his shots with rifle-like precision should use the heavy lead deer slugs. Their stopping power is unparalleled. Buckshot is the general choice; most favor the double-0 size, which in a 12-gauge will throw nine .33 caliber balls. Some have recommended birdshot, on the theory that at close range any shotgun blast is deadly, but birdshot won't carry far and is therefore safer. I prefer #1 buck, with 16 .30 cal. pellets.'

I gather Ayoob liked the number of pellets as well. Now, I still get a bit confused about the choices even in #1 buck. For example, Federal offers Classic Buckshot in F130 - 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", Mag, 1 Buck, 20 Pellets; and F127 - 12 Gauge, 2 3/4", Maximum, 1 Buck, 16 Pellets. I gather, in spite of the name 'Mag', that shell actually holds less powder and more pellets compared to their 'Maximum'? (rather like the fast food joints that no longer have 'small' drinks, eh?) [1/26/99 update - Federal emailed me the following info: 'MAXIMUM HAS 16 PELLETS-1250 FT/SEC, MAGNUM HAS 20 PELLETS-1075/FT/SEC.' Based upon that, it would appear their Magnum is the better choice for home defense I would think. Then, there are their 'personal defense' loads ...]

So far, I use a couple of dove loads, then #1 buck in the magazine. Slugs are available on the side saddle. I would likely need to use the shotgun in a home situation, and over penetration is a real concern.

[This message has been edited by Jeff Thomas (edited 01-26-99).]

Page generated in 0.03150 seconds with 8 queries