View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013, 05:45 PM   #49
MLeake

Response from Floyd Prozanski, chair of the Oregon Senate Judiciary Committee

A bit late in coming, but interesting; he seems to be riding the fence on the validity of an AWB, but prefers to leave that up to Congress.

Quote:
Thank you for your e-mail pertaining to HB 3200. I would like to set the record straight. HB 3200 was proposed in the House by Rep. Mitch Greenlick and I do not support it. As I have previously stated, if an assault weapons ban or high capacity magazine ban is to move forward this year, I believe it should be addressed in Congress. Accordingly, I do not plan on taking up any such legislation this session. I also understand that Chair Jeff Barker does not plan on hearing HB 3200 in the House Judiciary Committee. So it should be dead!

I am a supporter of both the Second Amendment of the U.S. Constitution and Article I, Section 27 of the Oregon Constitution. As a gun owner for over 40 years (I bought my first gun when I was 15 years old), I believe an individual has the right to use a firearm to for self-defense and the defense of others. At the same time, I believe Congress and the states have the authority to establish reasonable regulations on firearms.

Thank you for your views on this issue. I look forward to an open discussion on your concerns and greatly value your input when making these kinds of decisions.

Floyd Prozanski
Senate Judiciary Chair

Page generated in 0.04731 seconds with 8 queries