View Single Post
Old February 10, 2010, 02:28 PM   #27
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
Not that it matters much - They're all loaded by CCI.... Which you didn't include. The most common manufacturer of .17 HMR and .22 WMR ammo didn't even get a mention in your post.
Oh, yes... CCI.... the company that makes 6 loads in 22mag and.... 4 of them are 30 grain?

Quote:
What about Winchester? Fiocchi? ArmsCor? RWS? PMC?
What about them? This isn't a PhD dissertation on the similarities and contrasts of 17HMR and 22mag. I generally make my comparisons based on information provided by Hornady because they happen to provide the easiest access to the ballistics information for their bullets.

Who EVER lists every manufacturer of ammunition in these discussions?

Quote:
In the .22 WMR, 40gr projectiles outnumber your cited weights by a large amount.
Even if that were true, which I would dispute based on the facts above... but even if it were true.... the HMR has BETTER ballistics than the 40gr 22mag, generally speaking, so what's the point?

Plenty of energy in both rounds but the 17 has less recoil, flatter trajectory and better wind resistance all the way to 200 yards.

Really, where is the argument? Squirrels and woodchucks here, they're not hard to kill. For anything fox sized and smaller, the 17HMR generally does EVERYTHING better than the 22mag.

At 200 yards the 22mag might hit with 30 or so more ft/lbs than the 17. What exactly does 20ft/lbs more than dead look like? Dead is dead.

Page generated in 0.03601 seconds with 8 queries