View Single Post
Old August 14, 2012, 12:14 PM   #14
mikld

What you're seeing is leading, although it may appear to be "shearing". I just had a bad experience with my new 9mm plastic gun. My first major attempt at reloading 9mm (been reloading since '86) and I purchased some commercial cast bullets (I'll not name them 'cause the fault wasn't the mfg., but mine). The bullets are 18 BHN sized to .356" and my bbl. slugs at .357". I got leading. After routine cleaning I had the streaks on the corner of the rifling and I could scrape the leading away from the rifling. The leading was mostly at the end of the barrel so I suspect the lube failed also. I first used the "normal" cleaning to remove lead; bore solvent, and a Lewis Lead Remover. I've never had this much trouble trying to get lead out of the barrel! I soaked the bbl. in Kroil for 2 days (which usually works for my revolvers), scrubbed with the Lewis tool several times, in a dry barrel, tight patches, etc. I think I got most of it out, but it's there 'cause the bullets were too hard and too small, and mebbe a hot load (med. Bullseye load for a 124gr. lead bullet?).

Page generated in 0.03650 seconds with 8 queries