Thread: Sears Model 53
View Single Post
Old February 9, 2012, 09:48 AM   #3
MR.MILSURP

this is an old thread but worth reviving- I have a Sears Model 53

they are not all "pre 64" The one I have is post-64, actually post-1968 because it has the bolt with the anti-bind feature, i.e. extra slot on right side of the bolt head, just below the right side locking lug, that didn't appear until 1968 on the "improved" new model 70.

what most don't realize about the post-1964 model 70 is, it was changed twice. First model was 1964-67. Next model was 1968-up. I'm referring to the push feed model 70, not the newer FN-made controlled feed model 70 that is now made in S. Carolina.

even more important, the post-64 model 70 actually had a few very important improvements over the pre-64 model. The breeching system was by far safer and stronger. The post-64 model 70 had a flat breach, rather than a coned breech that exposed the case head of the cartridge. And the bolt head fully enclosed the case head of the cartridge, like a Remington or Weatherby case head does.

the coned breech of the pre-64 was copied from the old Springfield 1903 and Enfield 1917 rifles, and was just as antiquated. It's also dangerous if a case head lets loose, sending a high volume of gas back in the shooter's face.

The post-68 had a smoother bolt stroke than any model 70 before it, due to the anti-bind feature of the bolt head.

they actually are a very good firearm, and highly UNDER rated. They are superior to the same era Remington model 700 in fit and finish. The only improvement they need, is a second gas vent hole drilled in the left side of the receiver, to vent the left side bolt lug raceway, and to augment the gas hole in the right side, for added safety.

Page generated in 0.02128 seconds with 8 queries