Thread: Slow Rust Blue
View Single Post
Old December 22, 2001, 12:23 AM   #5
DeBee

... And, you can do it yourself. I have to remove some rust blue off my winter project, the FN Mauser .270 Resurrection... It takes several strokes with 220 grit emery paper! Tough stuff...

It's all in the metal prep. High polish hinders the bite of the acid into the steel. I recommend a fine wire brush finish or a glass peen with beads. The metal must be absolutely grease free including fingerprints. I generally scrub the rifle down with Simple green inside and out holding the gun with an inletting screw, hit it with an old hairdryer, and wipe it down generously with lacquer thinner or acetone (in a ventalated area of course). I then lacquer the bore and chamber- I find this more effective than plugging as water always seems to get in the bore anyway...

I use the Plinktons and boil in distilled water (a must around here). Build the box. No box will get you 3-4 rust repetitions and a thin finish.

I have yet to try the .0025 diameter super fine wire brush from the Brownells- this might improve my finish a bit. Anyone use this brush?

Page generated in 0.03164 seconds with 8 queries