View Single Post
Old February 5, 2012, 07:55 PM   #58
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeroux
An officer can detain a person if they have resonable suspicion that a crime has been or is about to be commited.

Also if the officer can articulate that the area is high in crime or that in his experience for the area most persons armed are criminaly armed that gives him resonable supicion.
You are a bit mixed up. An officer can make a preliminary, investigative contact (not a detention) if he has a "reasonable suspicion based on clearly articulable facts that a crime has been committed, is being committed, or is about to be committed." The Supreme Court specifically stated that a hunch is not sufficient -- there must be clearly articulable FACTS to support a suspicion of criminal activity.

In a state where open carry withOUT a permit is legal, what "clearly articulable facts" could this deputy possibly enunciate that would in any way support a suspicion of a crime?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeroux
More like the power tripping of OC is turned into insecurity when someone gets attention for it.
"Power tripping"?

What power tripping? I can't open carry in my state, and in the summer it's a real nuisance to have to dress in ways that keep my sidearm concealed without baking me. I would love to just "let it all hang out," and I assure that power tripping has nothing to do with it. Comfort and convenienec has everything to do with it.

Page generated in 0.02754 seconds with 8 queries