View Single Post
Old March 28, 2008, 11:39 PM   #1
FerFAL

3-4 rounds average per gunfight. Still true?

Just happened to read Erick Gelhaus’s post “The pendulm (and scythe) are swinging ... Heed the warning.”

Being sincere here, I clicked on it thinking that it referred to the hard financial times USA is going through, and that it had security advice in that regard. My mistake.
Still, I got to read his warning regarding senseless discussions, so its good to remind people about it before posts evolve into urinating championships.

I’m making this post because I just got off the phone, after talking with a friend of mine.

We talked about the current situation our country is going through, the food shortages and empty shelves, and how long things will hold on until people get desperate.

As an afterthought she mentioned that some robbers attacked her father and his girlfriend (divorced) while they watched over her recently married sister’s home, while she was in her honeymoon.

I always try to learn as much detail as I can from these situations.
As usual, 3 armed men intercepted the couple when they arrived to the sister’s house, when they were getting out of the car.

Then, three more guys showed up, each driving a car!
They tied them up, loaded the cars full of the newly wedded couple’s gifts, everything they had was soon fitted into the cars.
After that, one of the bad guys cut the cable off an appliance, stripped the end of the cable, and threatened to torture them with electric shocks.
There was also some money in the house, about $ 1000, and fortunately they didn’t fulfill the threat.

When I hear about such incidents, which unfortunately happen very often, I’ve noticed that most of the time, at least 2 or 3 criminals are involved, probably 4 of more. I seldom hear of armed criminals working solo, with the exception of rapists.

Understanding this context, I can’t help but to remember how ill fitted the 3-4 round average per self defense shooting is these days.

This supposed average has been around for decades.
Got to wonder, is it still accurate?

Aside from some murders when only one shot is fired into an unlucky person ( I don’t consider those gunfights) when gun fights do occur, much more rounds are fired.
30-40 rounds in a gunfight last week, and not long ago a cop told me about one they had against 5 or 6 bad guys where 50-60 rounds where fired.
When you have an average of 3 criminals armed with 15 round pistols, it’s easy to see how the firepower required can easily exceed the supposed 3 or 4 average.

In a perfect world, internet commandos with nerves of steel are 100% sure that they will land each and ever shot in the heart or head of their attackers.

In a less perfect world, but a more realistic one, people like Jeanne Assam fire 10 shots to stop a single attacker.

So, the question is pretty simple; do you think that it is wise to expect to shoot just 3 or 4 rounds, or should you have a weapon with more capacity just in case that average no longer holds truth, or you just happen to be one of those that don’t trust luck when it comes to falling within favorable odds.
It would be great if we could have a mature discussion here guys. Data from real gunfights would be good too.

FerFAL

Page generated in 0.03652 seconds with 8 queries