View Single Post
Old August 4, 2009, 12:51 AM   #1
stonedog406

questions about pre 1986 colt ar-15

So after doing a fairly indepth search of the archives, I still have not found the info I am after. Here's the issue.

I recently met back up with a college friend with whom I used to hunt and shoot. I asked him about that Colt AR-15 he bought around 1985 ( I remember he paid about $400 for it!) and he still has it. He was in the process of moving out of a state where it probably wasn't legal, and I was wondering if the fact that it was a pre 1986 AR-15, if there were any class 3 type restrictions on this weapon? (I am pretty sure it could have easily been converted to full auto at the time. It has the lighter barrel so I am thinking it was a SP-1. It also has the bayonnet lug.)
Can he sell it outright like any other weapon?
Is it worth more than a colt made yesterday?
And what happens when a state or federal law changes the legal ownership of a particular firearm? That is to say, if I owned something legal today, and tomorrow, that class 3 type firearm is now illegal, was there a grandfather statute. Up till this point I haven't really educated myself on class 3 issues as I know I will not be willing to spend the money or (more importantly) allow the gov't full access to my business.

Appreciate the help.

Page generated in 0.02343 seconds with 8 queries