View Single Post
Old December 6, 2009, 08:06 PM   #7
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A true guard dog, one that is professionally and specifically trained for that purpose, is not a pet.
Folks, heed those words well. I remember all too well the words of a friend and K-9 officer from a neighboring department: "Having an attack trained dog around your family is like having a loaded gun with a mind of its own". Several months after he told me that, he was attacked by his own dog (and yes, both he and the dog were professionally trained, and the dog came from a very reputable breeder/trainer.)

Quote:
I have read accounts from LEO's who have kept older K9's as pets and they work out well as both work dogs and companions, . . .
Agreed Dwight, it can sometimes work out. In fact, my very first dog was a German Shepherd retired from the military, and she was as gentle as a kitten, but these dogs aren't for everyone.

But I have to ask, given the potential and capability of an attack trained dog, do you really want to take that chance with your wife & kids?

I really think that, depending on the breed, any dog worth his salt will naturally defend his "pack" and turf. It's simply in their nature. Aggression training though, takes them far beyond that.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie

Page generated in 0.03830 seconds with 8 queries