View Single Post
Old June 22, 2013, 10:18 PM   #39
newfrontier45

The term "moisture" is not exclusive to water. If you moisturize your skin you're not wetting it with water, smart guy.

moisture

noun
1. condensed or diffused liquid, especially water: moisture in the air.
2. a small quantity of liquid, especially water; enough liquid to moisten.

A live animal provides moisture in the form of oils naturally. This keeps the skin pliable and maintains the integrity of the fibers. Leather is obviously dead and without a live critter to keep it nourished, must be treated externally periodically. Only flexed leather cracks? BS. I've had brand new leather crack because it was stored for a long time and never treated. How do certain artisans artificially age and crack leather? By drying it out with chemicals. Not bending it over and over again.

There's more than one way to skin any cat. Some people believe that leather holsters should be stone rigid, boned to its particular firearm and never conditioned. That is fine. You can certainly treat it that way but it will not last as long as leather that is regularly maintained. Other believe leather should be slightly pliable and in the case of tooled leather, it's never boned to the gun.

Some people don't understand that the only problem stemming from conditioning leather comes from overuse.

As for my work, my mentor oils his leather before the final finish is applied to restore what is lost during the dyeing process with spirit-based dyes. My shooting mentors use saddle soap. You are free to do as you wish with your but you won't tell me I'm doing it wrong. I have plenty enough orders to keep me busy and don't give much thought to exchanges like this.

Page generated in 0.04097 seconds with 8 queries